This is my first commercial Comics stint ever, and I have to say that I succeeded at it thanks to a Ty Templeton Course I took in Toronto on Comic Book Layout. Tinkle contacted me about doing this, the deadlines were tight and thanks to some bad luck (missed a flight) I got it done! These comics were printed in Tinkle number 665 and 666 in India. I'm still waiting for my copies! Here is my process...
The rough layouts are done on a very small panels, and just to get a general sense of the action and silhouettes. Once these are approved by the client then I move on to the pencils...
The pencils are tightened up versions of the rough layout done on actual size (around 11 by 17 inches). I do these in a 2H pencil, and get them approved by the client.
The inks are done next and these are a lot of fun (and also a bit nerve wracking since the lines are final.. although photoshop can fix a lot of small mistakes)
The colours are the last step, and what was tricky for me was putting in the speech bubbles in the compositions. The lesson I learn from this was to do all the text first and know how much space they would take on the page and draw the speech bubbles around them. The text was eventually done in house at Tinkle, and so to read it you will have to check out Tinkle #665 and #666!